Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lack of Patterns

So far, I think what I like most about the new NCAA is its lack of any discernible patterns. Again, this is still very, very early in the testing process, but after my 31-0 sha-LACKING of Michigan, after my Tuesday night hoop league I hopped back on to play against Wisconsin. (still default All American.)

It was a totally different game.

In year's past it was extremely easy to see patterns after one or two games of NCAA. It's always one of the very first things I look for when reviewing a sports game because patterns are really the absolute bane of these types of games. Patterns basically rip away any unpredictability and when a sports game gets predictable -- it's over. Immediate shelfware.

These patterns still could be there -- but so far they aren't showing up. Case in point, I lost to Bucky 21-14. It was 21-6 at halftime.

Plays that Michigan called that were repeatedly stoned, Wisky pulled off with great success.

Wisconsin connected on a 68 yard TD pass -- a FLY PATTERN. Yes, the AI went deep. Several times. Pryor was like 14/17 against UM. It was easy (this was a potential pattern) but was 15/28 against Wisky. I threw three INTS. One was my fault, the other I was hit as I threw and the other hit Carter in the hands (they need to remove him from the game btw. He's no longer at OSU, but anyway...) and it bounced right to a Wisky DB.

John Clay had 88 yards on 20 carries. He was hard as hell to tackle.

Michigan? I shut that team down with impunity. I had a chance late to get the ball back against Wisky and they marched 30 yards to nail the coffin shut.

Against UM my DE Cam Heyward was UNBLOCKABLE. He was KILLING whoever the Michigan RT is. 3 sacks, multiple pressures, etc. In years past this would raise a quick red flag. This is a potential pattern that could really kill the game because before--something like this simply meant...the AI blocking sucks.

Against Wisky? Heyward was as non factor. And believe me...I tried.

Still so much to look at and test and fiddle with but while the game does feel a tick arcade-y in spots (Brandon Saine wishes he could make cuts like this) I am very eager to play more. A promising start.